Tuesday, February 22, 2011

“Every closed eye is not sleeping, and every open eye is not seeing”

One week after my last treatment, I was driving and noticed my vision was off.  Initially I thought that my windshield was just dirty, so as I adjusted my position to look through a different part of the windshield, the vision problems followed.  So then I closed one eye… the on-coming car disappeared.  It’s a good thing most people drive with two eyes open!  I called my optometrist who got me in right away, and somehow I ended up with a retinal hematoma.  I hadn’t been coughing, been sick, or done anything strenuous, so I have no idea why it happened.  Sometimes it can occur from chemotherapy if blood platelets are low, but considering my last chemo treatment was 4 weeks prior and I had had my blood tested after that treatment, it was unlikely that it was related.  I was referred to an ophthalmologist that same week, and he felt that the blood should dissipate on its own, with my vision improving as that happens.  I have also been scheduled for an angiogram just to ensure that everything is normal.  As of right now, moving objects will still disappear at certain distances, and I cannot focus on details of an item or object such as text because everything is blurry…again just in the one eye though.  I have no time to worry about it though…the warm sun, blue sky, and sandy beaches of the Dominican Republic are calling my name.  I’ve been looking forward to this trip…and I deserve it!

2 comments:

  1. You deserve it so much and I am sure you will make some more wonderful memories on this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the doc is right and your vision will improve.
    But in the meantime - you have more than earned this vacation. So soak up the warmth, have a great time and come home with renewed strength.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete